Friday, October 11, 2013

Toddler Recipes - Pikelets

So we've hit the fussy toddler stage. Well, I guess Henry isn't as fussy as he could be, he's probably more bored than anything of what I keep serving up to him. Today I looked around for a basic pikelet recipe that I could sneak veggies into and first go was a winner winner chicken dinner!

Basic Pikelets
Thanks to Exclusively food for the basic recipe (I omitted the 2Tbsp sugar for savoury pikelets):

150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
36g (2 tablespoons) caster sugar
166ml (2/3 cup) milk
1 large egg
20g (1 tablespoon) butter, melted
Extra butter to grease pan
-Makes about 20 pikelets

Whisk up the milk and egg in a bowl and add to the dry ingredients, then whisk until nice and smooth. Add the melted butter and stir until combined.

Now add whatever bits you'd like - I added 1 Cup pureed sweet potato and 1/2 Cup grated cheese. Heat up your non-stick pan, add some grease (butter will do) and put tablespoonfuls into the pan. If they're not spreading very well, ie the mix is too thick, just add a bit more milk until it's the right consistency.
Cook on one side until you see bubbles coming through the top, then flip and cook until brown on the bottom. Let cool on some paper towel - make sure they're cool in the middle enough for bub!
I reckon these would be yummy with creamed corn and chives or some chopped mushrooms - remember that most veggies would need to be precooked before you add to the mixture.
He polished off 8 of them for lunch! What a guts, but I'd say that's a success :) Have you made pikelets before? What combinations worked - leave a comment and let me know. Henry will thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Leave a comment :)